1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar* (omit if you don’t have this – all will be well!)
1 cup water
2 tbsp oil
- Blend flour, salt and cream of tartar.
- Add oil and food colouring to water, and combine the dry & wet ingredients in a non-stick skillet,stirring well. Mixture will be very sticky.
- Cook on medium heat, keeping the dough in motion so it does not burn. (It’s done when it’s no longer sticky and the surface becomes kind of shiny)
- Knead while it cools. It’s undercooked if it remains sticky or overly oily.
* Cream of tartar is available in bulk food stores.Tip: many children are sensitive to artificial dyes. Natural dyes can be made from foods such as beet juice, blueberries and raspberries.